Saturday, June 21, 2008

Choose your Religion...

Choose your Religion...
...based on holidays.

If I find a religion with every day as a holiday, I'l convert immediately. A colleague recently asked me about my religion. That's always a simple answer that prompts more questions.

MY answer goes something like this: I was raised in a black southern baptist household. I was a practicing Buddhist in college, mostly agnostic in high school and now I have one prayer that's really effective and it's "HELP" - add in exclamation, question mark or period. Whatever. It always works.

Just "help." You know, you stand up and drop a quart or two of blood - Help. You've run out of money and can't see a way to keep yourself going - Help. Surrender is a damn good thing. Active surrender, if you will, cause you don't pray help and then get busy waiting for help. You say help and you keep on going, certain the help is coming. It always comes.

I watched Three Kings today with Ice Cube, George Clooney and Markie Mark Wahlberg. It was a really good movie. Touching and human, you don't see a whole chunk of that out of the film industry. I also watched Independence Day. Errr. I cried through half of it, I have no idea why. I bought new shoes and they are *technically* revenge shoes. Or at least I have revenge in my heart and satisfaction in my soul when I put them on. It's complicated, but the I'm going to enjoy making people suffer while I prance about in my new shoes.

The other day I was talking about my staff with a few people and it's firing time again. I have one staff person I've asked to get speech assistance - ad nauseaum. I've even arranged a retired English professor to help her. She won't make the move, but she's actively campaigning for a raise. Hrmmmmmm. Another girl requires weekly counseling just to keep her from making basic, stupid mistakes. Weekly. And she's been on the job for 8 months. It's not fucking rocket science. It's not brain surgery. Perhaps she's understimulated. But she's also a pathological liar. She can't help herself, so she's pathological and compulsive. Bless her heart. She's a little disaster.

I went to the library today and stocked up as well. I got a free copy of Seabiscuit, it's already entrancing and I'm so happy to have such a wonderful book to read. I bought a copy of The New Yorker, I like the cartoons. I stumbled out of the library with a bag of about 12 books. The librarian told me she was watching me teeter around with books stacked from my thighs to my chin. I did not ask her why she didn't ask if I needed help, I'm sure I looked funny and I wouldn't have offered me help either. I just couldn't help myself - there is so much good stuff out there to read! Woooo-hooo!

Okay, enough of my drivel...Read a book!

No comments: