Friday, May 23, 2008

What The Hell???

What The Hell???

Okay, I got CRITIQUED on my blog? But you did have a good point, I did get distracted and bored and I think I was writing too late at night because I didn't feel like being as thick about the friend thing as I usually prefer.

So, let's get more specific (in contrast to Kanye talking about his overdue bills in College Dropout). Let's just say that the thought was touched off by a mail message from someone with whom I was friendly in college. This person probably knew me better than I knew them. So getting this mail message, encouraging us hanging out, struck me as mildly ridiculous. For what point, I asked myself.

Then today I got a message from another person I knew in college. This person called me and - I shit you not - was asking me to co-sign a loan for medical school. Yes, you read it right, CO-SIGN A LOAN FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL. Now, we've been in touch enough for this particular "friend" to know I've been in and out of the hospital for quite some time and some other stuff. The last conversation we had I was solicited for money and then told I was wrong for suggesting that black american women should open their dating pool to include non-black men. It was a little stronger than being told I was wrong, I was called a hypocrite and a lot of other things for the suggestion. It wasn't as though I'd just been shooting off at the mouth, my opinion on the issue was solicited.

But what really tore me up was the fact that the conversation in question was at least 2 years old by my friend's count. Huh? Who in the hell remembers a conversation from two damn years ago (this person, obviously).

So yeah, I've had ample opportunity lately to look at my "friends" and figure to whom the label still applies and to whom it simply served as a designation of convenience. Or, as I suggested in my last, much-critiqued blog, I've outgrown the relationships.

And, Tera-byte, i think we should both go back to school and get another degree. I'm really thinking that English Ph.D could come in handy some day when I need a way to find hot young men. Where better than on a college campus?

No comments: