Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Proud Mary Keeps on Rollin

Proud Mary Keeps on Rollin
Hey Ya'll!!!

I just got back from Apache Cafe where all manner of Atlanta artists gathered to pay tribute and fundraise for Franklin-the-bassist who died in a motorcycle accident Monday on 285.

The highlights of the night are as follows:

Li'l G & his freaknassty guitar - started his set with a roaring, ripping, beautiful rendition of Purple Rain. Segued into Chili Peppers and finished up with Shout by Tears for Fears (yes, really, he did and sang each and every song at full throttle while literally coaxing tears and fire out of the guitar). Every girl in the place was screaming and rending her clothes and/or hair. the most beautifullest thing in the world...

Phillippia - Hometown favorite and man...when that woman opens her mouth and starts letting the beast out...sheeeiiiitttttt! I heart Phillippia. She sang her own compositions.

Erica Smith - I am a total convert. She sang Proud Mary, but did is slow and hard, her voice is a huskier Tina Turner. She murdered proud Mary. I mean, she laid it to rest, then resurrected it. I actually felt the sadness of Franklin's passing with her. She channelled all that anguish and hurt into the lyrics. It was amazing and a brilliant arrangement.

All in all, tonight was sublime. I'm so glad I decided to go out and expose myself to the local music scene. It was worth every single minute.

Hug your loved ones, ya'll, you never know when...

No comments: