Tuesday, March 18, 2008

See how I came Up...

See how I came Up...
The pressing issues in life: money, available sunlight, and water...don’t sleep, those are the important things. I was thinking last night, after about 8 hours of sleep with 7 remaining, that it would only take a day or two of darkness to make the human eye extremely sensitive to light. I then thought of the mole people - I can’t recall if they were just a movie or real people. I think they were real people, a study in inbreeding or maybe just people with funky dna. Either way, they would be kings in a sunlight-bereft world. The blind would also have distinct advantages.

Has anyone ever read Blindness by Jose Saramago? That is the scariest book. It’s all about a disease that sweeps through society leaving everyone blind with a few exceptions. Three-quarters of the book is an examination of the hierarchies and evils humans visit upon one another - even when everyone is stricken with disease. It’s crazy as hell. Rape figures prominently.

Someone in my writing class submitted a "rape story." I didn’t even feel like going there. I think it would be far more interesting to me if men wrote rape stories about men. I don’t like the idea of a man writing a rape story - there is something offputting in that. But let him write a story exploring the emotions and reactions of another man who is getting raped and I’d put money on the story carrying far greater significance than the same story about a woman written by a man.

I may posit that idea to my classmate. He’s the deeply annoying type, too much time in the closet as a child or maybe not enough. Either way, he’s just enough of an annoyance that I wouldn’t mind suggesting - hey why dont you make your protagonist a man and play out the rape scene that way? I’ll report back if he responds.

No comments: