Monday, March 03, 2008

Brush with Infamy

Brush with Infamy
happy tuesday snitches!

okay, check this out:

http://cjsd.blogspot.com/2008/02/ten-simple-rules-for-graduate-students.html

I love it. I have a lab coat that has the nametag "Dr. E. Genius, Ph.D" embroidered on. I wear it all the time at work and i just don't pay attention as people read it. this one guy ( a doctah, wouldn't you know it) actually asked me how to 'pronounce (my) last name' and whether it was french.

yes. i said yes. it was french. pronounced "jean-ous." i'm still laughing. Like, did NO ONE else ever watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid and now they can't get the joke. Dr. Evil Genius, Ph.d. hullo!

So, one of my friends claims to be in a corner, babbling incoherently to herself, having been driven mad by her job. Another friend has an ex calling who always asks for money. It's that time of the year. i'm just putting the information out there - it's the time of the year for EX-FEST. Yes, the exes come out of hibernation with the spring, all the major holidays are gone and (usually) so are their steady dummies - i mean partners - so they want to go through the rolodex in their minds and make sure someone out there is still pining for them. it doesn't matter if you say, "oh, you're still alive?" when you get the phone call during Ex-Fest, they keep on comin'. Of late i've been contacted by people I don't even remember. This is no great big achievement, considering the number of brain cells I've sacrificed to the greater good, but really, i don't recognize these people.

And I know I've slept with them cause of the way they approach me. Yet, i don't recall them. At all. big blank. Or, say, someone I was terribly fond of once upon a time forever ago and they contact me, but I'm no longer fond of them. I mean, it was a LIFETIME AGO. So now, he is reaching out and I'm wondering "does this person honestly expect a reply? Like, for really?"

it's too bad, no one gets replies. You have to ask yourself, "what do I have to talk to this person about?" And then you have to be honest with yourself. Did you do much talking before? Was it based on a shared experience or a particular point in time? If so, ya'll don't have anything else to talk about. Shit's over. Experience has passed and the point in time may exist in a parallel dimension, but it's way past gone in this one.

The Times has a good story about choice and how difficult it is for people to limit their choices even if they have empirical evidence that limiting their choices will make them more successful. Ah well. Such is life. Who needs that many choices for anything? Or that many people to recall on a semi-regular basis. its' better not to remember.

No comments: