Friday, February 29, 2008

Stupid Human Trick

Stupid Human Trick
New trick learned: How to tie a scarf. Yes, yes, I know, you all mastered this is the 3rd grade. Well, thank you very much, so did I, but then I had to keep relearning it every year, some things just don't stick for me. Sure, I can recall the lyrics to songs my mom listened to while I was gestating, but tying a scarf consistently evades mastery. shit happens, we all have flaws.

However, I have said numerous times and I will reassert my opinion - there is nothing wrong with you that technology can't fix. For really. So I googled "tying a scarf" and there were simple 3-step instructions with a delightful picture! I am not the only humanoid with this particular challenge. I am not alone in the world.

And i'm getting less alone by the millisecond. I'm up to my eyebrows in aspiring writers at Gotham Writer's Workshop, this week I submit my writing sample to the class. So of course I started working on it last night. Nothing like an impending deadline to motivate. I do agree with the sage Douglas Adams: I like deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. brillz.

I joined Last.fm today. Social Radio, they call it. Right now I'm listening to my favorite Rolling Stones jam, "Sympathy for the Devil." Just the best song ever. It's on my Santana radio station. I have been listening to Pandora, which is okay, but leaves a lot to be desired, such as the use of british english (an advantage Last.fm exploits to the fullest and I enjoy seeing as I have to remember which country I'm in before I go spelling colour/color favour/favor grey/gray etc.).

Today i was thinking I need to get back into practicing my spoken language. English is easy enough, it's all the other words I know that I've developed some degree in fluency that screw the pooch for me. It takes some effort to weed out the other words and stick to the right one in English. I always think of a recent visit to a friend in Cairo, where she was immersing herself in Arabic and sexist society, and hearing her use what can best be described as FRACTURED English. I laughed so hard because the phrase and intonation she used was a mirror of what runs through my head. I laughed myself sick, yes i did. She knew I wasn't laughing at her so much as I was laughing at the situation and how easily you can lose your native tongue under the right circumstances. i.e. total immersion.

Well, bar-b-que ribs to you all. Have a good night.

P.S. I think i'm going to get a record player and "borrow" all of my parent's albums including the Exodus album and Lady Sings the Blues soundtrack. Wish me luck!

No comments: