Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Crazy is Contagious


Crazy is Contagious
Here we go again.

Same song, different singers. Has anyone else noticed that crazy is contagious? Let in one nutjob and everyone loses their minds. Domino effect and all that jazz. Take out the crazy and things settle down.

Wait, there is this ad for Will Ferrell's move "Semi-Pro" and apparently Andre from Outkast is in it and they are doing a screening tomorrow night. I've still not recovered from Talladega Nights, so I don't know if I need to endanger my stitching with another Will Ferrell movie just right now. Woody Harrelson is in it as well. I predict madness.

And that is encouraging. *Relieved Sigh* Crazy always ends up moving on. Yes, I'd like for it to move on sooner rather than later, but there are some things I can't change or affect in any meaningful way. It's like being on morphine or Dilatted and trying to have a coherent, linear conversation. You can have all the desire in the world, but there's just not that much getting around morphine and its derivatives. Instead, you talk, you black out, you dream you're still talking, you wake up after a couple of hours mid-syllable and continue talking - wash, rinse, repeat. There is no changing the process of healing and when you're not the decision-maker, or taste-maker, or the person who pays the bills - you can't dictate how long the crazy lasts.

Instead you do what you do on morphine, you make a decision that the needles in your arms don't matter, the blood transfusion will end eventually, and you set your mind to be happy and you don't waver no matter what happens. As I get slighly more involved with my office that is my decision - I'm happy. I'm healthy (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) and I have my dreams to accomplish. I'm loved, I've worked and earned the respect of my peers and my subordinates and my supervisors.

That last bit should be taken as indication that someone came after my job today. I knew it would happen. New people are entirely too predictable. What's that quote from Bulletooth Tony in Snatch? "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." ROFL. It's the god's honest truth. That's not to say you can't work with stupid people, but if they are actually intelligent but having a stupid phase, someone has to let them know in fairly concrete terms that they are, in fact, quite stupid and cannot contribute anything until they contribute the basics expected of them.

Gosh, that was a dense paragraph. Ah well, anyway, stupidity is predictable. Crazy is contagious. And I'm happy. Everything always turns out well anyway, why worry about it in the process? I need to get the library and rent some books. And I definitely need a class...the best cure for being distracted by the wrong thing is to get involved in the right thing.

Oh, and I'd like to thank everyone who has landed on my page by mistake and read my little missives. It means a lot to me. Just being read is a secret thrill, but I just looked at my blog log and I've had 19 kudos. Wow. that means people read and actually stop, take the time to let me know they have read. Wow. I love the internet. Did anyone else hear Hillary Clinton talking about how the U.S. invented the Internet? Does anyone else remember when the Internet was called the Information Superhighway or something like that? The Hills comment smacked of Al Gore. I dunno, I like Hillary, I appreciate her intelligence and her wily ability to work the system. I've read her books. People hate that she's overtly political and I wonder why. Is she supposed to be covertly political but still run a campaign? They (this being historians mainly) say Golda Meir was something like that. Rather, her effectiveness rested in her ability to take large issues and make them intimate, personal. Golda would take issues like economy, religion, the Palestinian conflict and speak of herself as a mother tending to her children and her home - the Israeli state. It was devastatingly effective.

Margaret Thatcher had a different approach. She was as steely as her hair was coiffeured. There was no soft overlay for Marge. She was highly effective. Hillary tries to blend styles, but you simply cannot make everyone happy at the same time. She's in the unfortunate position of having to attempt to do so. Blech. I don't envy the woman one whit.

I'm going to find myself a writing class. It will make work less interesting and more like a character study - plenty of fodder in a medical office.

Ta!

No comments: