Friday, September 07, 2007

Love a Con Day


"My Big Brother was Big's brother..."

yeah, so i copped Kan-yizzle's new joint. Love a newsgroup all the time. Today I watched 'Talk to Me' about Petey Greene of Dolemite fame. I love movies about people making moves.

And every time I think of that phrase I finish it with "like a person in jail" - courtesy of Big Boi.

I'm Coming Home Again...damn if Yizzle didn't do it with this Coldplay mashup....

So, yeah, con love. Not that i'm advocating getting locked up and all that because really, jail is not good for the complexion or constitution. However, i do respect people who make moves and you can find big movers the world around, including in the penal system.

Talk to Me prompted this line of thought because the protagonist, Petey Greene, was an ex-con and in his words, nothing more than a con and a thief who told the truth. His method of telling the truth was super sharp and killer funny and Don Cheadle played the man to the teeth, to the bone, to the heart and soul of the character. Chiwetel Ejiofor played the other protagonist, Dewey Hughes, who cofounded Radio One Network with his (wife? - i don't feel like doing the research) Cathy Hughes, who he also launched as a D.C. disc jockey. Dewey was not a con but he was a determined businessman.

Dewey opened the door for Petey Greene, launched Petey Greene, managed Petey Greene - he was the man with the vision and the method and he even found that he didn't need Petey to always be his voice.

But the point of the Con love is that we should remember we can always learn from people, even people who have been removed from society and marginalized into another place. Those lives don't stop, they simply transform into a new system and it's a hell of a system.

Really, Kanye's album is the hotness. I grabbed Graduation and Curtis and determined to see which was the best for myself. I think professional competition is a great thing. I'm starting to get my minerals back and get interested in putting my foot into the world. I'll never be of the world again, I haven't been in a long time, but I'm slowly beginning to see the world beyond my body and deciding how I might fit into the world beyond Club Med.

Maybe that's why Con Love strikes me tonight, other than Petey Greene. At points in life I suppose we all find ourselves wondering where our place is. Club Med gave me some hard lessons in placement, but I can't stow away forever.

Graduation ya'll.

No comments: