Friday, May 16, 2008

Anita Bryant and Pie Face

Oh god. My computer is going soooo slowly. But I have to share this little story. There was this woman, Anita Bryant, who hated gay people with a purple passion. She was convinced they preyed upon kids etc. etc. and was very vocal and very public and galvanaized Dade County to support her.

Well, one day she's having a press conference and someone walks up to her while she's talking and throws a fruit-cream pie in her face.

Yes. Really. So, her husband or some random fella is sitting next to her and he tells her "honey, let's pray for him, pray for him" and so she starts praying. Now, in the account I'm watching, Bruce Villanch is saying "she was already in trouble, no one would do her hair" (pie insert) "and no one would decorate her condo (more pie) and I swear to jeebus, I was crying it was so funny. One, the timing was crazy - insanely funny. Two, pie in the face - freaking PIE IN THE FACE!!! So 3 Stooges and Charlie Chaplin. Terribly funny. She was mid-word "the gays" etc. and then (blammo!) PIE!!!

And she gets two sentences into her prayer and breaks down crying. Crying. Sobbing. Then you see a shot of the guy who threw the pie and he's licking his finger. Which completely undoes me. He's enjoying a bit of cream pie and she's so shocked she can't even wipe the pie away.







I just had to share. Had to.

No comments: