Friday, December 07, 2007

The Wheel of Fortune Says Success

I wanna go to Singapore. Birds pick your fortune, there aren't any taxes, and there was a LV Suhali L'Impeteux bag being sold from there a week ago on Ebay and I had to make myself NOT buy it even though it was Robin's Egg blue.

I wanna go to Singapore. I wanna go to Singapore. If I close my eyes and click my heels three times do you think I'll open my eyes in Singapore?

But I'm buying some property right now so I ought not to buy a LV Suhali in robin's egg blue until I close on the place and recover from the financial onslaught.

Word of Caution: to all those who are all hot and bothered to be a part of the real estate market- TAKE YOUR TIME!!! I can't tell how many people I know jumped in with both feet and felt their "investments" turn into lodestones around their necks, driving them into deep debt, misery, romantic strain and breakup, and even bankruptcy at a very young age.

Don't be a "wannabe investor" as in "you want to be." Get an education. Ummm. Not the Donald Trump and Rich Dad, Poor Dad dog and pony show. Don's first book is great, genius, everything after that, he's making money off any poor sod who will sink their funds into his persona - not his particular real estate genius.

I have a lot of friends who sunk hundreds of thousands of dollars into one-bedroom condos in "developed" areas. Read: They made sure the serious investors, the ones who got in as the area started to develop and got out before the building broke ground - made their money in spades. Now they are stuck with hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars worth of mortgage on an "investment" that isn't even their primary homestead.

It's generally a bad sign if there are more than 100 places within 10 blocks available that are exactly LIKE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT BUYING. Put your money in a money market, amass 3-7 months of expenses, take a vacation, chill out. And to all those people who say "they aren't making any more land." Well, actually, yes they are. The king of Dubai just had a palm-tree shaped island created in the middle of the Sea, global warming is receding waterlines everywhere, making land more available, and GUESS WHAT - buildings GO UP not just out.

It's just not that crucial to own property. You probably are not making your landlord rich, but you can make yourself rich while you rent without being a total pauper. Check out Dave Ramsey www.daveramsey.com - the guy has good sense and gives the same advice anyone who knew a knut about money and cared as much about you would do.

Best Luck and Happy Weekend...

No comments: