Saturday, December 22, 2007

Ich haben a new crush



Tha-thump. My heart is going tha-thump and it's not even over Gerard Butler (something else tha-thumps with his crooked smile).

I have a crush on a MIT physics professor. He's so passionate about what he does and so innovative and makes his lectures incredibly exciting and fun...what's not to love?

Check this out:

"In his lectures at ocw.mit.edu, Professor Lewin beats a student with cat fur to demonstrate electrostatics. Wearing shorts, sandals with socks and a pith helmet — nerd safari garb — he fires a cannon loaded with a golf ball at a stuffed monkey wearing a bulletproof vest to demonstrate the trajectories of objects in free fall."

I really liked physics in high school. until they made me attend class, that is. i was perfectly happy reading the book on my own. Attending class meant wasting time listening to my teacher make really bad jokes and talk about what he could recall about being a fighter jet pilot. Note to everyone: fighter jet pilots live lives on a constant shortage of oxygen, their brains are SHOT in 2-3 years. I know, I dated one. Nicest guy in the world, sweet as now n' laters, thought processes never quite made it to the 'finished' stage. There were other oddities about him, but they are too personal to divulge.

Back to the Physics thing, Physics, Calculus and Geometry are on my list of things to re-learn because I didn't get a good grasp on them the first go-round. Geometry was the most challenging because I'm not a visual person so 'visualizing' a three-dimensional anything was just a bother and my brain wasn't equipped for it. I could write a proof like nobody's business, though. I've always loved math and science, as evidenced by the fact that I'm covered up in physicists, engineers, and an assortment of polymaths as my closest friends. But it's always nice to learn something new. I had a friend, Willie, in college and we had Physics dates. I paid for all-you-can eat chinese buffet and he would spend the first half giving me the history of a theory and detailing that theory and then the second half we would debate, argue, discuss the theory. I loved him for that. I'm big on the String Harmonic Theory. That's the one that resonated for me.

Indicentally, I'm sitting up for the first time today. I really like my medicines. Why did I stop taking them? They bring out the best in me and I sleep adequately. I guess I was trying to get well too fast, to prove to all the people who have been carrying me that they didn't have to worry so much about me any more.

Yeah, worry away. I'm a hot healing mess. Thank God for my stepmom who has been bringing me food and drink every hour on the hour since 8 am. She loves me. Both my biological parents did good, they married people who could love their irritating, trouble-prone only child. They LOVE me. How fortunate a girl am I?

I'm working on the cats. I'm determined that they should love me too. But they only love me when there isn't anyone else available to love or rub-up on. I'm 4th string affection. I'm going to work on that.

Love Camille

No comments: