Saturday, August 11, 2007

Chanel is so Punk Rock


Ah, back home. And Sleepless. I've totally thrown my tried-and-tested method for defeating jet lag out the door and now I'm suffering for my infidelities. 5 am EST and I'm wide-wide-wide awake.

At least i have plenty of interesting stuff to think about. Such as, Sam Cooke Live at the Copa, The mystery why strange men's underwear keeps showing up in my dryer and who are the guys that do the Rice Crispies character voices? Plenty on my mind.

I'm also thinking about that Pacific island where i spent the last week. it was incredibly beautiful. I'd ike to buy an island. I'd been thinking Caribbean islands, but I'm getting sold on the Pacific side of things (once again).

I'm also throwing a massive appreciation party for Label Whores and Semi-conspicous consumers. I marvelled at the savvy and daring of the Japanese tourists on the island. Oh, i just was covered up in D&G, Chanel, Gaultier, Manolo, and many offshoot indie labels. The girls staggered and stalked around in 4-inch heels, it was a real show of will, sheer determination to be taller than the other girlsin the group. The guys. Well, they were mostly cute, sometimes sexy and always dead stylish. This one girl clomped past me in some 5-inch Gucci wedges, all creme and gold, and a chanel dress and I just wanted to clap! Her manfriend trailed behind her, heavy laden with bags. Fabulous.

And I found a new label to appreciate: Christian somebody or another doing Ed Hardy Tattoo designs. Since I'm over my tattoo phase (all about the fake tattoos from here on out!) I'm pretty frothy about tattoo-inspired clothing. I've always appreciated biker fashion sensibility and Ed Hardy designs satisfy those cravings for a full-sleeve or shirt bodywork without the pain, recovery or weeks under the needle. My fave design right now is a hoodie (or tank or whatever you want) with a skull and heart and ribbon that reads "Love Kills Slowly." It's smattered with Rhinestones. Bedazzler Beware!

Finally, forget the cocktail rings or signature ladies suits - Chanel has some serious punk vibes running right now. it's that Karl Lagerfeld, i tell you, the wily german has brought black leather everything into the House that Coco Built! I've been watching the black over-the-knee stiletto for a few years (and loving every moment) but a dip into the the Chanel boutique (okay, two in two days) brought me enlightenment (cue angels singing). Chanel accessories go so well with Ed Hardy stuff. They go well with nearly anything, but I'm so inclined to start wearing a hoop in one ear, a double-c key earring in the other, wrap leather on my wrists and put on those glorious boots over some fishnets! Top it all with that Love Kills Slowly tank and a skirt held together by oversized baby nappy fasteners...would I ascend directly to heaven or would st. peter want to chat me up first?

Well, i'm feeling a bit noddish finally. Dear reader, you've probably fallen out or scratched away your corneas to get away from my blathering. Fashion is a passion!

No comments: