Friday, June 29, 2007

Post-Op Intuition

Well, after a day or two lapse, I'm back and better than ever. I spent Thursday in the operating room, having a 6 hour surgery (#5 for the summer, #6 for all-time) and I had a great time. I've been in surgery so much this summer that everyone in the operating room knows me and it's likehanging out with really special friends. I'm known as the girl with the tattoo down there that says "om." It tickles me to death that that is how I'm remembered. Guess it's kind of distinctive.

I've also built up something of a resistance to anesthesia. See, they give you a little cocktail of sleepy-time drugs before they gas you. But, i suppose I've had so much in such a short period that I no longer get sleepy. So thursday morning i was chatting up the O.R. staff and laughing and generally having a wonderful time catching up with the crew when the anesthesiologis, Dr. McNeil, walked in and looked bemused that, well, i was cutting up so much when I'd already been given the inital cocktail. He gave me another and that was the end of all my chatty kathey activity. Woke up 7 hours later in Recovery and knew half the folks in there too.

The only thing I wish I'd been awake for is the robot they used for my sutures. I checked it out before i went to sleep and is was huge and looked really, really cool. Eighteen white arms, each sterilized and ready to do something. But I miss all the cool stuff when I'm knocked out.

Luckily i got to come home within 24 hours of surgery. I even hung out in the ECU instead of my usual inpatient suite. And they didn't make me go without water for days-on-end. Of course I'm still not allowed all my favorite foods, pb&j or steak, but i'll be back to enjoying the culinary wonders of a low-residue diet by sunday. i forsee myself eating roast chicken and a baked potato.

Unfortunately I'm not clued in or excited about anything pop cultureish to share with everyone today. Well, other than the fact that the BET Awards 2007 really, really sucked. I don't usually watch the awards shows, but other than the moment where diana ross stood up and announced her age with all her kids behind her, there wasn't anything worth writing home about. And I'll ahve to say, i was sorely disappointed by the dress code most of the performers adhered too. I finally turned the show off for good when Ciara started singing and her track was doing all the music and she was breathlessly filling in one word per stanza. It sucked.

I've shouted out Feist before and I'll do it again. This woman has a great voice and real musicality. My ipod went dead for some reason, so I played Intuition in my head for part of last night and it was awfully satisfying.

No comments: