Monday, April 02, 2007

Things Fall Apart



Well, I just returned from a truly draning trip to Chicago. In retrospect I probably should have just stayed my butt at home and saved everyone the trouble, but I called myself wanting to see people before surgery. I like some people, I enjoy their company, but I cannot dictate what kind of mood or energy they will have when we get together.

Enough to say I had to make alternate sleeping arrangements after the first day. I ended up at one of the starwood hotels (if you're gonna run, run to something good) and commenced to sleeping. I didn't see any of Chicago, but that was by choice.

A new friend named Walter swung by and listened to me kvetch for an hour or so while we ate at one of those marginal eateries that always pepper the blocks around an airport. It was Italian and surprisingly good. I should hav asked if there was a cathedral nearby, I need a new rosary. I've rubbed all the shine off of one I bought 5 years ago. You know what would be extra hot? A Jade rosary. I'm gonna Ebay that and be all about it.

I didn't think any deep thoughts while I was gone, I was pretty drugged most of the time. But i did meet a very interesting girl. I just kind of walked in on her so it was a "stranger" situation and she was a childhood friend of the person I was staying with. There was a lot of anger around her so I didn't know what to think for the first 30 minutes, it was one of those "should I say in the roomor give them some space" deals.

Then the girls starting talking about being a CEO and starting a foundation to raise money for children and young adults with neurological disorders i.e. Lou Gehrigs disease (okay, there is a hilarious Family Guy skit on this, but I'll resist putting it up...or not). Her whole deal was that she didn't need the money for her illness - really the number of young women in the western world with serious disease is nutz - but she knew of so many people who could not afford treatment or care, even on the most basic levels. So, although she is suffering mightily herself she's fighting and organizing a fundraiser for others.

That's toughness and a whole lot of moxie. I took my notes, there may be some ways to be of assistance - if anyone who reads this blog would like more info hit me up and I'll give you what you need.

I think for summer vacation I'm getting my hair cornrowed, old school style like I used to when I was 5. I don't know why people spend so much time getting botox and restalyne and face lifts - one good headful of cornrows and your entire hairline moves up - skin is instantly tightened! Voila!

Like I said, no deep thoughts. I still have a couple more days before I'm back to myself, it takes a bit for the drugs to cycle out of my system. speaking of...time for a refill.

Here's a parting shot from Zap Mama that sums up what it takes to get over little disappointments:

When the day gets too long
when its so right now feel so wrong
Listen to what i say
See if you dont agree
Theres something i learned long ago
Down where the blu waters flow
Something people do to et their spirits free


oh, and I have to give a shoutout to www.afrogeek.blogspot.com for wanting to know where Jungle music got off to. Really I'm hunting down Ghetto Life by Goldie Tonight!

Besos

No comments: