Saturday, January 06, 2007

How Could I be inconspicous when my flow is fucking ridiculous?

Wow! I am sitting in First Class on DL22 Direct Service to Paris, France on my way to Cairo, Egypt. I am sitting next to the CEO of a Danish Medical Supply company, C. Jern, with whom I've wonderful conversation. I have to STEAL the menu to describe all I've had to eat - Eggplant Ravioli with spinach sauce - freaking antipasto with artichoke hearts, marinated tomatoes, peppers and kalamata olives. REALLY!
I watched The Italian Job and Family Guy. I've been sitting in this cozy seat with footrests and private lights smiling like someone's fool and feeling like the cat who ate the canary. This is how you vacation! Mrs. Carnegie this and Mrs. Carnegie THAT! Suzanne is my server - I wish I had brought Thank you cards with me. now I am listening to Esthero and eating an ice cream sundae. C. Jern is asleep next to me, stretched out. And i feel like I just heisted 40 million dollars from someone to pay my own way and no one else is the wiser. Lord help me! This is a million dollar moment for, like, $3.95 - literally.
I'm the only black person on this flight - or so it feels. C. Jern is a huge dude. Just tall. I should ask how tall. And i met a Dutch guy on the train who was 7'. I know this because he told me - he made a point of staring me down until he could catch up with me in the terminal and strike up conversation. Me and huge European guys chatting like old buddies! My sundae is haagen daas.
Owning my own business, building my own business i the best thing ever. And how come I've never paid attention - real attention - to the clothes at Target, which are cute, stylish, and very affordable. I have on a crisp white colored shirt that I bought for $17.99. F*ck the Gap and Banana Republic - They are soulless! I bought some gold lame Espadrilles today. They spoke to me despite my ragged toenail polish. It's as thought I've had Helen Gurley Brown's voice resonating through me for a week sinc ereally committing to her book of lettters. I pass by Sex and the Single Girl daily and i hear Helen saying "You don't have to be rich to be fabulous - just have imagination and learn how to have taste." I even got lip gloss from the flight. I just have to keep myself hydrated and i will be great.
I think instead of going through customs I will try to meet Beth at her gate. It's only 9:30 in Atlanta. I could call home and burn up all of my little money. We are staying at the ultra posh Conrad Hilton on the Nile River. My espadrilles will do nicely there, I think. I have my Ipod. I am humming so contentedly...it's a beautiful thing. I wore heels and little paraprofessional footies! Life is so amazing. So many wonderful twists, turns, and surprises. Thankfully the pharmacist let me know the malaria pills induce crazy dreams, which somewhat explains my freakout the other night. I like to flirt with danger, but maybe I'm finally emerging from the urge to Sleep with Danger. I always have such "Hi-i-i-igh Hopes" when i start a trip. I thnk travel makes everything sexy. It's still so much about wealth, exposure, opportunity, pure braininess. I just had to hold my smile in my own hands for a few moments. I am sleepy. i wonder what time it is in Paris. CDG is a madhouse. I should study some helpful french phrases before we land. But for now i think I shall sleep. It's a miracle I'm not asleep from all the wine I've had to drink already.
How excellent for me.

No comments: