Saturday, January 16, 2010

Weird Girls get all the Boys

Proven Fact. Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman just announced their engagement.

Weird girls are intense and quirky. I have three little sisters. To borrow a line from the Bard, they are Weird Sisters, but mine. I have extremely weird friends. One friend, she's a little scary in a completely soft and lovely manner, she declared over dinner and while I was 1.5 vodka gimlets into drowning my troubles that she's going to stop telling people she's stupid. I thought this was a fine idea because this is a girl who makes her living tutoring people in advanced mathematics - she doesn't deal in anything less challenging than calculus, it isn't worth her time and she bores easily. To keep conversation going I asked why she was suddenly going to stop telling people she was stupid. She explained, in an offhand manner, that there are a lot of stupid people in the world and she isn't one of them, but when she says she is, the stupid people start talking to her and they really don't have anything in their heads. She gets bored. And we're back at the original statement, she's not stupid.

Weird girls are worth the trouble. In our extreme youth, we are often dumped for simpler girls. I have a testimonial: when I was a senior in high school, I loved a boy. He was exotic to me and I'm pretty exotic for most other people. I got him into college. Weird girls are brilliant, we just don't flaunt it because then people ask you to do things like run their corporations (sub-testimonial, this happened to me and it's been a six-year headache). So, there I am, in the blossom of love and hormones when he dumps me. Just flat-out says "We can't date any more." I ask all the relevant questions, "is it because your family is orthodox?" "No" "is it because of our ethno-cultural differences?" "No" "Do you not find me attractive?" "I find you very attractive."

This was a true stumper. Finally, I had to ask, "well, what IS it?" And bless him, he told me "you're too smart. I can't get over on you and I get tired of thinking." Well, huh. I thought about offering to play stupid, but I was too busy thinking of 5 guys who could comfort me. Three days later I saw him at a nightclub with a girl who was my physical carbon copy save the vacant look in her eyes. Ding-dong and no one but a yap-dog is home. In that moment I was incredibly hurt and insulted. A stupid girl is a great insult. This girl was about as quirky as a dead amoeba.

Weird girls deserve weir-but-socially-acceptable partners and should not settle for less. We tend to settle or go single for years at a time. We deserve love, our love is so rich and multi-faceted, only an idiot could get bored and idiots LOVe weird, smart girls. They don't even understand our multisyllabic language, but they like our big words. We like their big hands. It's a complementary relationship. But we deserve brilliant, weird guys/girls/significant others who make us laugh and can do our homework when we want to read romance novels or play sorority life or just sit in a corner and obsess about particle physics and chemistry

No comments: