Monday, November 24, 2008

Holy Shit, I'm almost done

I've been going through changes. Ch-ch-changes. I've been questioning whether this first draft of the novel would ever happen, never mind the ridiculous word count I had to rack up over the weekend, the deaths of characters I didn't even like, but had grown comfortable with and therefore was crushed to lose, and general silliness on my part.

But I'm 10,100 words away from done. I can write 10,000 words in a day if properly motivated, fueled and intrigued by the story. I'm nearly there and I hadn't realized it. It felt as though I would be writing on this thing forever and terrible things would continue to happen to these people with whom I have spent entirely too much time in the recent months. They are familiar and familial, so even the positive events elicit deep suspicion in my little reptile mind. They just mind their business, the characters really do, they are just minding their business and I know terrible things will befall them before the next page.

It's stressful. But I'm almost done, then I can set this aside and get a little air from all their voices and complex social hierarchies and do something different. Praise god for something different.

No comments: