Monday, May 19, 2008

How to wheel and deal while drunk



Talking wirk, briefly: had an interesting convoe with an opthalmologist who has some office space for rent. He called me at 7:00pm, i was half a glass into some sweet white wine and had NOTHING in my stomach. It's rude to smack into the phone, so I settled for drinking wine. 45 minutes later I slurred to the close of the conversation, "Okay, Dr. Opthalmologist, thanks so much for taking time to call me, I'll be sure to be in touch tomorrow..." and he said "huh?!" and not just because he's not a native english-speaker!!! Hot mess on the phone! But I had to get him off so I could eat something since I could not feel my toes, fingertips or tongue and my lips were pretty much nonexistent!

A friend asked me why I support Barack...that's a complicated question, especially since I've been inclined toward Hillary. However, there is an intangible Mr. Obama posesses - nevermind the surplus of intelligence, the skill and diplomacy, the willingness to listen and the background that is less isolationist and more inclusive than any other presidential candidate in history. I can't tell you the intangible, perhaps it is a mixture of desire and destiny: powerful stuff. But, hey, I don't discriminate against intelligent, focused, talented, bold people. I suppose voting is an intensely personal decision when you get down to it. Obama reminds me of Clinton from 1992 - young, smart, willing to build across perceived gaps and adamant about involving young people in the political process. It's rare, you know, that young people are courted for their youth and idealism, not simply treated as not-quite-old people who are to be led blindly down no path in particular.

Okay, tonight's book: Size 12 is not Fat by Meg Cabot. Anyone else out there read a book a night? Tomorrow looks like Jurassic Park or Why Black Men Marry White Women (a well-reasoned argument, I'm intrigued).

Ta!

No comments: