Monday, February 04, 2008

Who was the shortest president?


"Harrison. He was president for 47 days...he spent most of his time dying."

That'll show you the relevance of history to our everyday lives. I have recently discovered the Cable Television Channel Guide. That's good reading! It even has descriptions, better descriptions than On Demand or whatnot.

I'm purging my house - still - and it's wearing on my back. But I'm not cranky. Last night I ... wait, yes, it was last night... I had a mixed drink for the first time since April 07. This morning I had my first hangover since Rhys and I killed a few bottles of syrah, watched Beaches and The Color Purple and laughed and cried ourselves to sleep. That was at least 8 years ago.

A hangover. I mean, my eyes hurt, my head was swimmy, I knew it wasn't the cold that had been threatening to happen because it felt so distinctly different. That's what I get for letting a Brazilian businessman with a wily personality make me a caiprinha. I have good luck with Brazilian fellows - but then one wonders who doesn't? They are relaxed, funny and have wonderful accents that soften all the consonants in their speech.

So, I spent the early afternoon nursing my hangover (three sips and she's O.U.T.!) and the afternoon crunching numbers and reviewing hundreds of pages of financial information. I learned that the writing class I wanted to take next is too far in for me to join, so I'm wondering what I should do next. I need to keep writing, but I like having an audience of peers and superiors to read what I'm writing. I suppose I could harangue my friends again to start reading, but they don't do so well with anything that hasn't been rewritten at least 10 times, there just isn't the ability to ask the questions I need as a writer to clarify matters. Plus, they think writing is just shy of magic when really, it's one of the few things I can do to relax.

I have one friend, but I don't want to impose on him because he's pretty durn busy being a writer himself. I suppose this is what you call a high-class problem. heh.

For the last sixty days I've had this end-of-days fear. It's my second mom's fault. She told me about some Mayan calendar that says the world as we know it will end in 2012. That just pissed me waaaaaay off. I mean, 2012 is 5 freaking years away and I just got healthy enough to focus on living the life I love and the world is gonna end? I've been pretty pissed about the whole thing. But now I have an election to focus on (Clinton.Obama) and a business and a writing class to find and the weather is unseasonably warm (famous last words on the issue of global warming), so I'm not so concerned about the 2012 destruction.

i read a great quote not too long ago about life being a way for the sun to watch itself. I like that. Makes me feel warm inside.

Keep it gully snitches...

No comments: