Sunday, December 30, 2007

Gift to Me Forever


I just finished writing out my maid of honor toast for the wedding in Belize I won't be attending today. I think I did a fair job. I was mildly confused cause I didn't know if I was supposed to have something for the bride and groom, but since I'm in the hospital, I took license and did as I pleased. I wrote to my best friend, the Bride, inserted a comment to the Groom from my grandmother, then finished up with an e.e. cummings poem as dedication to my friend from all of us whe were unable to be present for our myriad reasons.

All in all, I think it went well, but it did make me cry, my one moment of true disappointment as I enjoy the affects of rapidly improving health: that my imnprovement has not been fast enough to allow me to stand with my friend on her joyous occasion. Obviously she will have to have another ceremony so I can attend and put the Earth back on its axis.

Grandma is getting her fill of trashy news coverage. She is a junky for CNN and Fox News Network and their ilk. For some reason learning the overhyped idiocy of others really engages her and makes her toes tingle. And she's a little hard of hearing, so the agreement we made was that I would ignore the talking box by listening to music and she would keep it at an acceptable decibel level. She forgets, though, and ratchets up the volume on the most inane stories until I have to request again that she lower the volume.

Now I understand why my homegirl Kimmie put herself to bed and has refused to leave in the two days since her mother and grandmother's flew back out of town for the holiday. It's exhausting...

i'm going back to my pre-vitals-activity of napping. Then I'll call Kimmie and see if she's come back from the great beyond of 'family time.'

~c-dub

No comments: