Saturday, November 10, 2007

If you can occupy two worlds, then you can occupy Six



That's courtesy of Daniel Day-Lewis, touted at "The New Frontier's Man" by The New York Times' Magazine this week. So far I'm charmed by the article, which can be found at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/magazine/11daylewis-t2.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

(I think you have to sign up for the service but it's 100% free, so why not?)

Day-Lewis talks about growing up middle class in England, training classicly in theatre, but going to school in Southie (rough, blue-collar, no collar hah haha haha). And I relate. When you grow up with your feet in different worlds, understand the expectations and mores and behaviors then you realize that your personality, persona, person can expand exponentially to include as man worlds, expectations, mores and behaviors as you please.

I've never related to the "mixed kid" identity crisis because it seemed to me that if you have two places - cultures, races waddever -to choose from then you can choose anything you want. However you want. But I've spent my life watching people struggle their entire lives to say "i'm white. or I'm black." when it seems to me what they really want to say is "I'm wealthy by association" or "I'm acceptable without work" or "I fit a particular standard of beauty" or "I'm hip, or I'm cool, or I'm OK" and do it by aligning with an available group instead of making up their own or finding their own.

Internet makes it easier, but people lived happy, successful, dichotomied, trichotomied, multilayered lives before the internet, there is no real excuse other than lack of imagination and backbone (I'll get off my soapbox now).

The article is a good read and Daniel Day-Lewis is a good interviewee.

Holla

No comments: