Sunday, June 24, 2007

American Gods


I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I admire the shit out of the way this man writes. It's ridiculously savvy and fast and thoughtful and clear and illustrative. I have a literary crush. Him and Nora Roberts because Nora can write a fantasy into being. If I had American Gods next to me (I don't as I'm in my dad's office pirating wireless) I would quote some of the best bits. I've decided to read the entire Neil Gaiman library.

And my dad has a hookup for first edition's of books...who is going to stock up like a fat rat? I may simply replace other later editions of some of my favorite books. I'll be charitable, though, and share them with my friends. I like comics, so I'm pressing that agenda first. I'd also like a first edition of The Picture of Dorian Gray. I'll just go ahead and say I've never read it, but it permeates popular culture, so I have the gist. Or perhaps I have read it. I read a lot of books in elementary and middle school and high school that I don't recall until I'm re-reading them and wondering why I have this sneaking feeling of deja vu.

I've been watching the funniest vids on Youtube. I'm a Harry Potter fan and I'm terribly excited about the new movie and book coming up. Thus far I've managed to resist the urge to pre-order, but i think my strength is waning and I'm just going to have to give in. Incidentally, I have books 1-4 as 1st American Editions and, I'm just going to put this out there because I'm half-sure the statute of limitations is over, I also have Book 5 as a file, ostensibly ripped from the publisher because I had it months before the book was released. I read it while recovering from surgery and beyond the friend (RAY!) who held me up during a breakdown in the bread aisle, it was the best gift ever.

So, here is a Harry Potter spoof that is hilarious and deserves to be watched again and again and again:



And as an added bonus from your local HP freak (I have a wand and I'm not afraid to use it)

No comments: