Monday, April 09, 2007

Oh shit!

I'm having major surgery in a week. So far I'm cool, I'm looking forward to Club Med - I need to iron out the hospital's policy on my Ipod and Bose system in my room, but I'm certain we'll reach an arrangement. And i can't lie, looking forward to having a week of my life erased by prime pharmaceuticals, though I wish it could be a week of my choosing, like "apply the demoral to that week when i finally figured out I did not want to be married" or "that week when i didn't get the Fulbright" as opposed to the week when I'll be in so much pain everything else will cease to exist.

it's been a couple of days since I logged on to bore the masses with me drivel. Superhomie Kyle rolled through San Fran style and we maximized our chill/girl time. We checked in on each other. Kyle is getting married, Camille is getting cut - we are ladies with things going on in our lives, ya know? So we had massages (shout out to Jenn who's table is as BIG AS HER and she carried it up three flights of stairs, then gave each of us a full hour of hands-on relaxation). After that we all went out to eat and then hit up a networking event that probably qualifies as the "first time i've been out for a good time in Atlanta" since moving here. Since my memory is always a little foggy, I can't give it that designation officially, but it's definately the best time i recall having in three years. For one night I felt free and open to the world of possibility. I heard phenomenal singers, the mother of the featured singer got up and did Summertime by the Gershwin brothers.

She started out so downtempo...I mean, you could have gone and eaten dinner between the notes she was singing. Then the band kicked in with a solid samba for the rest of the song. Reminded me of an arrangment Al Jarreau did on his Tenderness live album. Speaking of, I could have sworn someone told me he would be in town recently. Je t'aime Al Jarreau.

Then Sunday, since it was too cold for Eastering, I hung out with my newest homie Kym E and we just bummed around. She g'd me for some brand-spanking new lime green asics Kyle had just bequeathed to me, so now we are friends for life. it was nice having a day with nothing planned other than somehow eating and catching a little sunshine. I walked out onto the deck of my apartment and noticed a gaggle of guppies lined up with easter eggs that jingled. I like things that jingle, so I inquired as to whether they did an easter egg hunt for jewelry (can you think of anything more rewarding? i mean REALLY!) and they said no, it was mostly change though there were a few plastic easter eggs hidden with dog shit in them. Not cute. They were a friendly lot who were happy to take on a few more revelers, so Kym enjoyed the libation of the moment (vodka and lemonade, who knew?) and then we made our way to my new favorite Chinese place - The Ricebox. We ate and chatted - it's so beautiful not to have a schedule.

Tomorrow I return to being a Camille with a Schedule. I think my nervousness about surgery is that I won't get completed what needs to be done in time to beat the clock. There is a date and time when I'm going under anesthesia - can I get a physician credentialed in under a week? Only time will tell. It's my real-life version of Where In the World Is Carmen San Diego.

Anyone else remember that game?

No comments: