Monday, March 26, 2007

All Apologies to Bridgett

I don't know how I happened upon "Don't Bother" must have hit the MTV button by mistake, but there I saw that entrancing Shakira singing in a camisole in the shower and some hot model guy with a great car driving up to her house. Looked interesting, right? Then I listened to the lyrics of the song, I really like lyrics. Shakira's voice is compelling as well, it's deep, like my cousin maya, i think shakira ventures into the realm of the baritone without trouble.

So, this song "Don't Bother" starts out discussing all the qualities another girl has. And to be honest, they are all qualities I've spent a good hunik of my life wishing I'd had access to. Lifelong private school, perfect everything and perky friends.

I like my friends, cynical and crazed as they are. They are especially amusing because none of them have filters that operate between their brains and their faces/and/or mouths.

Here are my favorite verses:

She's got the kind of look that defies gravity
She's the greatest cook
And she's fat free

She's been to private school
And she speaks perfect French
She's got the perfect friends
Oh isn't she cool

She practices Tai Chi
She'd never lose her nerve
She's more than you deserve
She's just far better than me

***I take exception with the 'she's just far better than me,' but that's for tonight. There was a time not so many years ago (one or two) when that line would have been just right for where my head and heart were. I still get minor palpitations when I think of the great loves, the ones I was afraid to reveal how much I cared in case they said I wasn't good enough and every blink of their eye seemed to confirm my worst fear. And the other women didn't help.

I laugh now because my rather flexible morality and ethical personality never considered other women in my league - amazing the duality of complete arrogance and insecurity - but c'mon, I knew what I knew. I did wonder what made them interesting beyone the physical occurence of womanhood and maybe an attractive face. They seemed like clams, no chance of a real pearl. But maybe they were only clams around me, I tried to sidle up, get an idea of their charms, maybe learn something or at least gie a passable imitation - that was rough going. People dont like to share their secrets when they feel they are in competition with you, even if it is for the affections of a confirmed playboy. Note to the world: The only way to win is to pool resources, not rest on your own intellect and wiles. We could have had those boys running in circles and howling at the moon - I did enough of that on my own - but with the numbers we could have had: oh the fun! Sensual, mental, emotional and spiritual penance, torture and ectasy.

Ah, the road less traveled.

Well, I've taken my valium and its calming my muscles. a final note from that lyricist Shakira:

The promises I made to you went down the sink
But I really hope I haven't HARMED your self esteem
I'm not a virgin, but I'm not the whore you think
And I don't always smell like strawberries and cream

No comments: