Friday, December 22, 2006

Good Morning, I'm Broke

A highly amusing story from wild and wooly world of Holiday Pageant in America:

"My office held the gift swap today. Of all the crappy presents I have ever received in my entire life, this was the worst. We had a $20.00 minimum and it was "Secret Santa." So, in good faith i go buy a gift card to French retailer Target. Well, my Secret Santa wasn't nearly so considerate. I even know who it was based on what I received because they were all items from her house. In a recycled Christmas bag from gifts all of us were given by a student last year! I already had the bag and this one had gone through the washer a few times! She even regifted the lipsticks we'd received in the bag. She included a sample size of hospital/nursing home lotion, which she had from her mother - who is in a home - I'm sure. There was a two or three year old Mariah Carey album she probably took from her daughter's collection. As I pulled these things out I kept expecting to come up with some dirty socks, that's all that was missing. And she had the nerve to complain when she received a gift card from someone else to a retailer. I wanted to tell her I'd take her gift card and she could take her crap from home right back where it came from, but my boss was in the room and I didn't want to raise a scene. The final item I pulled out of that bag? It was a worn book she's been carrying around in her purse for the past 6 months, the cover is dirty and a little torn. I mean, I understand re-gifting, but just taking stuff from your house? I would have better appreciated a nice Christmas card with a small "hey, I'm out of money right now" note and an IOU. That would have been classy, this, this is NOT classy at all.
"Of course this is the same woman who tried to pocket the birthday money we pooled for another employee's present and had to refund everything after she gave the birthday girl a pair of used fake-gold earrings. I should have known better than to suggest she be included agains the wishes of everyone else. I've learned my lesson. That's my holiday story."

No comments: