Tuesday, October 09, 2007

You look so healthy!

I just finished chatting with my Papa. We have good talks. I successfully completed surgery 6 for the summer and did my requisite week in La Hospital. It was interesting. These last two operations I've visited new wards and ...they weren't as prepared for me as I was for them. That's the diplomatic way of saying things. Although it would have been nice to sequester myself away on 3C there is some value to seeing different areas of the hospital.

You do know that you've spent too much time at an institution when people visit you from other areas and/or recognize you and know important components of your health history that mystify your current caregivers. You might be a sick person if...

My favorite part about the visitors was having my former surgeons/nurses walk in and exclaim "You look so healthy." I don't have enough sense of humor to be all darkwing and sarcastic about things, but I genuinely wondered just *how* bad I must have been looking before. Then I wondered if that tan I picked up in Hawaii was just *that* good...

I think the comment that I looked healthy had something to do with me being concious and having a tan. The fact that I didn't black out every 3-5 minutes probably helped. No hemorraghing. I have to remember that all of these people saw me in some decidedly dire situations and thus that is their primary impression of me. Dire-girl. Hmmm. I wonder what that means in another language.

Tonight I was wondering how many other people have read Tim O'Brian's book "The things they carried." Actually, I was thinking the book was titled "the things we left behind" and my interpretation of the title isn't that far off. The book is about the things left behind and they are symbolized by the things each character carries.

If there really are human beings (or other beings) who read this blog, I would be curios to learn what things YOU've left behind this summer. I think I've detailed a fair number of things that I abandoned this summer. I would not mind hearing from my so-called readers.

Waiting...waiting...

No comments: